The reason gold was chosen as the de facto currency for most of human history is based on two factors. First, it was scarce and hard to mine. Second, its low melting point, chemical stability and high mass make its authenticity easy to verify. As long as human economies were based on agriculture, gold worked very well as a currency. Because it was hard to fake, and hard to obtain, the money supply was essentially fixed. Agricultural economies are also fixed, with the quanity and quality of land essentially a fixed variable. So much land produced so much economic activity. Any commodity that was stable in supply would work. Gold fit that description to a tee.

Gold became inadequate when economies moved from agriculture to industry. Suddenly economic activity was capable of rapid, exponential change as innovation and other technological factors began to drive production. At that point a growing economy needed a more fluid currency, whose supply could be varied as needed. The stability in supply that worked so well in an agricultural economy was completely inadequate for more modern economic models. Hence the abandonment of the gold standard. It worked for centuries, but progress has made the gold standard obsolete.