When upstanding young men look for fun and excitement, some of them decide to prove their bravery in a game called "troll busting." Here's how it works.

First, a group of at least three or four young men gather. If they're the size of football players, they might go with just three or four. Average sized ones will usually wait until they have six to ten in the group.

Why do they need so many? Because in the main part of this game these bold young men have got to come face to face with some big, tough homeless person who is probably going to be waiting in ambush when they arrive.

Readers who pay attention to pipe links will see by now the real nature of this "game". Readers who don't or can't pay attention to pipe links can read the real text at the end of this node.

Some targets of these attacks escape with only bruises and broken bones. Some have been stabbed to death, or even burned to death.

In the U.S., "troll busting" seems to be growing more popular. Reports of random attacks against homeless people increased sharply in 1999 and 2000 compared to previous years.

Now here is the description without pipe links.

When depraved young men look for brutality and violence, some of them decide to prove their cowardice in a game called "troll busting." Here's how it works.

First, a group of at least three or four young men gather. If they're the size of football players, they might go with just three or four. Average sized ones will usually wait until they have six to ten in the group.

Why do they need so many? Because in the main part of this game these craven young men have got to sneak up behind some elderly, frail homeless person who is probably going to be passed out drunk when they arrive.