Loblaw Companies Limited, called "Loblaws", is Canada’s largest food distribution company, which retails one-stop shopping for food and household goods and services. It is among Canada's largest private sector employers, with almost 120000 employees.

Their motto is: "A passion for food... and a lot more!"

In 1919, Justin Cork and T.P. Loblaw opened their first grocery store in Toronto, and used the then-controversial policy of self-service. Why they chose "Loblaws" instead of "Corks" is beyond me. In the 1930s, Loblaw Groceterias Company Limited expanded to include 80 stores. In around here, Loblaws becomes the largest retail grocery store company in Canada. In 1947, George Weston Limited gains control of the company, which buys a controlling share in Chicago's "The National Tea Company". Loblaw Companies Limited incorporates to consolidate the retail and distribution components of George Weston Limited. In 1978, Loblaws creates the "no name" brand, which is a major financial success, as is the "President's Choice" brand, launched in 1984.

A contemporary Loblaws grocery store includes groceries, photo development, prescriptions, a tobacconist, financial services, a wine store, take-out food, cooking classes, and sometimes cosmetic consultation, home electronics, office supplies, and a fitness club.

Loblaws owns the supermarkets of Provigo, Maxi, Maxi & Cie, President's Choice, Fortinos, Atlantic Superstore, and Zehrs Markets.