The axis mundi is a concept which is archetypified in many different mythologies. It is viewed as the axis, the centre, of the world, and the universe at large. It represents the totality, and links the components, of all.

The most recognized form is that of the world tree, as in the Norse tradition, Yggdrasill. It is a tree that acts as a spiritual medium between worlds, and at the same time, gives life to our own. Odin hangs from the world tree in sacrifice.

The use of the tree as an axis mundi marks a unity of that which is below the earth, with what we see, and that which reaches toward the heavens.

In the Christian tradition, the cross serves as an the axis mundi in that it is rooted in the earth, and Jesus hangs from it in sacrifice. The Maypole, the totem, the obelisk, all serve as axes mundi. In Kabbalah, the spheres on the tree of the Sefirot are the axes; according to Plato, the axis is a mink; in Tantric thought, one's chakras act as personal axes.

The process of urbanization, and technological advance have allowed for the creation of highrises, and economic hubs. Office buildings, and trade centres, act as axes which link and establish nations of market economies. Equally, a centralised government structure, such as a senate building or parliamentary hall, is a symptom of the importance of a centralising space shared, in some way, by all. This extends even into such places as a cafeteria, or a living room. The computer. Welcome to Everything. Homenode.