Movie Review:

Detective Rosewood:
All they told me to do was to drive you out of town. Now I'm gonna screw that up, too.

This 1984 movie directed by Martin Brest and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer helped launch Eddie Murphy's career move from comedian to actor, making him into a super-star almost overnight. Even though he still mostly is a funny black man, he is the main character of the movie, not co-starring as in 48 hours, and his character is better developed as well. The movie was one of the highest-grossing films of the 1980's, which of course meant that there had to be sequels.

Plot:

When street-smart, and foulmouthed Detriot detective Axel Foley's (Eddie Murphy) childhood friend Mickey comes to a visit after being released from jail and is subsequently murdered, Axel decides to violate his superiors' orders and investigates the case. Leaving his native Detroit for sunny Beverly Hills, he proceeds to get into trouble soon, ending up at the police station. Two twist two straight, by the book officers, Detective William 'Billy' Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and Sergeant John Taggart (John Ashton) are assigned to watch over him so he won't cause any more trouble, but he first outsmarts them and then twists them to his "unorthodox" way of policework, and so they all proceed to crack a drug-smuggling ring, which his friend had unwittingly stumbled upon, avenging his death in the end.

Review:

Even though the plot is actually pretty thin, it serves it's purpose: giving Murphy an open field and vehicle for his furious ad-libbing and fast-talking skills. The film is really designed for Murphy, giving him enough space to act crazy and he fills his role perfectly. The humor and action parts are nicely balanced as well, and all in all, the movie makes for good, entertaining viewing, even if the plot is a bit thin. And the music is excellent as well.

Axel Foley: Before I go, I just want to say one thing. The supercop story... was working. And you guys just messed it up. I'm still trying to figure you guys out, but I haven't yet. But it's cool, though. You just fuck up a perfectly good lie.