You’ve found it! The fabled tomb of Pharaoh Ahnk Ahnk is lost no more. Had he not perished in the search, your mysterious benefactor, Hiram Primm would have reveled in the secrets of those popular and efficacious Egyptian embalming fluids. As for you—well, perhaps you can content yourself with immeasurable wealth and the undying celebrity of your discovery. And—just maybe—begin to forget the harsh travails of your journey.

Heart of Africa was a game by the legendary game designer Dan Bunten (M.U.L.E and Seven Cities of Gold) with Ozark Softscape for Electronic Arts. You play an explorer, who in the late 19th century has chosen to scour the whole of Africa for the mysterious and legendary tomb of the ancient pharaoh Ankh Ankh. The game was the successor to the successful Seven Cities of Gold, and it shares many features and ideas with the previous game. As before, you must traverse thousands of screens of scrolling maps in territory, discovering hidden tribes, geographical landmarks and historic sites while also amassing vast amounts of wealth. However, the game sold less than half as many units as it's predecessor (about 70.000 units).

Of course, you must also always be prepared when entering dangerous territories, have plenty of food and water, and some poison antidote won't be amiss either. You collect rumours, trade with natives to finance your trip and supplement your supplies, and have to be careful not to die in the process.

The game also had a great replay value, as locations of important clues and treasures, including the tomb itself are changed every game. The game was great for it's time, with nice graphics and good sound, and it provided epic adventures on your C64?although graphics are laughable if measured with today's standard, the gameplay more than made up for it. This great retrogame is available all over the web for emulators.

Heart of Africa also reminds us that the role of the "civilized" explorer need not be one of bloodshed and plunder. This is a game of wonder and discovery.
Electronic Arts promotional text.