An Everything2 Help Document


Why it's important to read this before you begin writing

Everything2 may be unlike anything you have met before, and while it is possible to tweak the interface here, it is can be complicated and needs some knowledge of CSS.




Quick start

The Zen Theme is the name for the current visual design of Everything2. All older themes are no longer supported.

Theme Nirvana lists Zen Stylesheets by popularity, with an option to switch to the Zen theme if it is not already enabled. This is a good place to begin.

You can click "preview this style", but for a better idea of how it looks in action, you should click "Use this stylesheet" and try out a variety of pages on E2 proper:

What if I want to tweak my stylesheet a bit?

If you know cascading style sheets, you can use the Style Defacer to add any CSS declarations you like. These declarations will be applied after the main stylesheet and will be visible to you only, nobody else.

Can I create my own stylesheet?

N.B.We strongly recommend that you have some web design experience before you try this.

You can copy and paste the CSS from any existing stylesheet to serve as a base to work from. Note that your stylesheet will be public and other people will be able to use it. Joining the zenmasters usergroup is recommended to keep up to date on code changes that might affect stylesheets, and to get and give help to other theme-makers.

How do I learn CSS?

There are innumerable guides on the internet.





Back to
Everything2 Help




Updated on October 4, 2012 by wertperch