The City of Traverse City, Michigan, is located in the United States of America. It sits on the shores of the beautiful Grand Traverse Bay in the northwestern part of Michigan's Lower Peninsula.

Traverse City was incorporated in 1891 as a village and in 1895 as a City. The city encompasses 8.09 square miles and is 626 feet above sea level, and has a population of 15,155. Traverse City is the home of Northwestern Michigan College and the National Cherry Festival, and is the Cherry Capital of the World. The National Cherry Festival is held ever summer for a week right after July 4th.

The Cherry Festival is an annual one week long tourist trap that includes Fireworks, cherries, parades, absurd events for children, cherries, Beach Volleyball Tournaments, Cherry Orchard Tours, cherries, Classic Car & Truck Show, cherries, U.S. Navy Blue Angels air show, The World Famous Cherry Pit Spit Contest, MORE parades, Bike Tours, Arts and Crafts Fairs, cherries, Cherry Pie Eating Contests, Turtle Races and did I mention Cherries? (You can see a full list of events at http://www.cherryfestival.org/schedules/everything.html)

Traverse City relies primarily on the tourist trade. Because of that the manufacturing industry isn't as strong as other large cities have. You will find lots of places to shop, ski, and snowmobile in the area. There are lots of Hotels and “Resorts” (Including the Grand Traverse Resort), and the area is a great place to hunt and fish. You will find cars around the area that say: I live, work, and wait in Traverse City, Michigan. The traffic in the area clogs the roadways during the Cherry Festival so badly that locals that live outside of town but work in town will do almost anything to keep out of town during that week.


Sources:
http://www.tcvisitor.com/facts/page.cfm?articleID=42
http://www.traverse.com/traversecity/general.htm
Editor:
NinjaPenguin