Tom Glavine, pitcher, Atlanta Braves, New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, retired (2008), throws L, born 3-25-1966.

Glavine had been with the Braves since he came to the majors in 1987. He relies on a sinking fastball and a changeup as his main pitches. Historically, Glavine was Atlanta's #2 or #3 starter, behind Greg Maddux and John Smoltz, for most of the 1990s. He has never thrown hard and has relied on control and movement for his success, much like Maddux. He is one of the more pronounced groundball pitchers in the majors. He has never been quite as good a pitcher as Maddux, but has received exceptional run support that has led to five 20-win seasons.

In the 2001 season, Glavine declined substantially in effectiveness. He was among the league leaders in walks and his strikeout rate was down. His velocity has dipped from 88-90 to 85-88, and his control is not as sharp as it once was. He's a 300-game winner (305-203 overall), so his induction into the Hall of Fame should come shortly after he becomes eligible for induction in 2014.

Glavine won the Cy Young Award in the National League in 1991 and 1998. He is a ten-time All-Star.

Glavine was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 2014.