1996 album from Mike Oldfield. Personally, I believe this is one of his best albums (along with The Songs of Distant Earth and, of course, Tubular Bells). I got this album before TSODE, and I was positively surprised. I guessed it was good, but I never knew it was that good =)

The album is going very much back to the "dreamy" past; the tune is (as reinforced by the arrangements) deeply Celtic. All songs are instrumental, Mike's amazing guitar skills cut right to the essence of the songs; I particularly liked the solos in Wild Goose etc... I liked The Song of the Sun best, but none of the other songs fall far behind; the traditional (in Mike's terms) 12-minute piece Mont St. Michel is particularly impressive.

The opening song is from a group called Luar na Lubre. Also, some songs are credited as "traditional" tunes, but are not: Women of Ireland was made by Seán Ó Riada and Dark Island by Iain McLachlan. (I heard this from tubular.net...)

Songs:

  1. The Song of the Sun
  2. Celtic Rain
  3. The Hero*
  4. Women of Ireland*
  5. The Voyager
  6. She Moved Through the Fair*
  7. Dark Island*
  8. Wild Goose Flaps its Wings
  9. Flowers of the Forest*
  10. Mont St Michel

* = trad. arr. by Mike Oldfield (but see note), others by Mike Oldfield, except for the first track (by Bieito Romero).