It should be noted that the myths surrounding the proliferation of lice (especially head lice, pediculosis capitis) are profoundly more well known than the facts. Let's examine a few of the most common, shall we?


- Head lice are the result of bad hygiene.

Bunk. Head lice are spread only by direct contact, and as the insects are rather limited in their mobility, this usually requires some kind of head-to-head contact, or the use of a very swift intermediary. Head lice also survive thorough washing quite well, so no amount of it is going to keep them away. They feed on your blood, not on filth--it's no more a sign of ill hygiene to contract head lice than to be bitten by a mosquito (though a little harder to rectify, granted). If your child has head lice, it's probably because he or she has good friends, and not because you've been a neglectful parent.

- Head lice are often spread through shared hats or clothing.

Head lice found on hats, clothing, and furniture are dead or dying, as a rule. They can't survive off a host for very long at all, and don't spread themselves proactively.

- Head lice prefer long hair.

Another piece of bunk rooted socially. Long hair may seem a sign of ill-keeping to you (or your dad), but it's not going to make a single difference in the contraction of lice infestations. If anything, it might keep them off--hair is one thing lice have to work against when gaining access to your scalp. Children with long hair should absolutely not be shaved as part of a lice treatment; it is unnecessary. Girls actually do have a higher rate of infestation, but this is only because they tend to play more closely than boys.


Most importantly, an infestation with head lice is absolutely asymptomatic in most, save for a light itching. It's not something you have to worry about, and it's not a cause for medical concern. Head lice are not typically carriers of disease.