While listening to Baby One More Time (by Britney Spears), I realized that many of its lyrics could easily be applied to Western society.

This analysis is by no means meant to be definitive or complete; it exists purely to make the reader think a bit about what the originator of this node perhaps got a little carried away with.

It should also be said that this interpretation does not necessarily reflect my own views on the subject, nor do I think it's necessarily correct. I'm just pointing out that you can make any song sound like it's secretly about any subject...

Oh baby baby,
      // As members of this Western culture, we are all spoon-fed baby infants of the media.
How was I supposed to know,
      // No matter how sane our current standing is and how secure we think we are...
that somethin' wasn't right here?
      // ...society will throw us a curve ball.

Oh baby baby,
I shouldn't have let you go...
      // You need to hold on to what you have...
And now you're out of sight, yeah.
      // ...because the greedy capitalists will always be trying to take it away from you.
Show me how you want it to be,
Tell me baby!
      // The government claims to want to know how you'd like them to change things...
'cause I need to know now,
oh, because!
      // ...and then deny that they are asking just because an election is near.

My loneliness is killing me, (and I)
I must confess I still believe! (still believe!)
      // A harsh and lonely existence in this culture; baseless beliefs are all you have to keep yourself going
When I'm not with you I lose my mind,
      // Without our Western comforts we are lost. T.V., fast food etc.
Give me a sign,
Hit me baby one more time!
      // Get crushed by society and keep coming back for more.

Baby One More Time is track 1 on 'Baby One More Time', an album by Britney Spears, and copyright 1999 by Jive.