Chick-fil-A Dwarf House

Those of you familiar with Chick-fil-A would first look for the Fundamentalist fast-food in a mall, the site of the chain's origin. Or you might head to an -A of the drive-thru type configuration when hunger requires you to seek a greasy timely-dispensing of waffle fries. But what is this third option that Chick-fil-A offers beyond the accustomed one-two of drive-thru and food court? And why is this called a "Dwarf House"?

Dwarf-House — what it isn't: a place where only little people can eat, or where little people can live, or where people of any description can eat only little servings served only by the littlest of Chick-fil-A employees. No.

Dwarf-House — what can we learn from the Chik-fil-A website: Truett Cathy, the founder (some say, flounder) of Chick-fil-A, had opened a very small restaurant in 1946, in Atlanta. It was small, see, so Mr. Cathy named the restaurant Dwarf Grill, which was later renamed the Dwarf House. Even dwarves start small, however, and, after years of tinkering with special herbs and spices, The Founder had a breading the likes of which was yet untasted by the tongues of men. And so to the malls, where the food could be distributed in the most efficient manner possible, and the truth tasted by all the gentle strollers found there. Rather than abandon the smaller Dwarf House chain, Cathy merged the two. SO today Chic-fil-A Dwarf Houses are full service restaurants, where those who long for fast food and table service can be completely and unpresumptiously satisfied. (Closed on Sundays)

Moral of the story: Southerners allow traditions to pile like so many broke-down cars stacked up on cinder blocks in the front yard — that is to say, uselessly and without explanation.