A*long" (?; 115), adv. [OE. along, anlong, AS. andlang, along; pref. and- (akin to OFris. ond-, OHG. ant-, Ger. ent-, Goth. and-, anda-, L. ante, Gr. , Skr. anti, over against) + lang long. See Long.]

1.

By the length; in a line with the length; lengthwise.

Some laid along . . . on spokes of wheels are hung. Dryden.

2.

In a line, or with a progressive motion; onward; forward.

We will go along by the king's highway. Numb. xxi. 22.

He struck with his o'ertaking wings, And chased us south along. Coleridge.

3.

In company; together.

He to England shall along with you. Shak.

All along, all trough the course of; during the whole time; throughout. "I have all along declared this to be a neutral paper." Addison. -- To get along, to get on; to make progress, as in business. "She 'll get along in heaven better than you or I." Mrs. Stowe.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*long", prep.

By the length of, as distinguished from across.

"Along the lowly lands."

Dryden.

The kine . . . went along the highway. 1 Sam. vi. 12.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*long". [AS. gelang owing to.]

(Now heard only in the prep. phrase along of.)

Along of, Along on, often shortened to Long of, prep. phr., owing to; on account of. [Obs. or Low. Eng.] "On me is not along thin evil fare." Chaucer. "And all this is long of you." Shak. "This increase of price is all along of the foreigners." London Punch.

 

© Webster 1913.