Can"ton (?), n.

A song or canto

[Obs.]

Write loyal cantons of contemned love. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Can"ton, n. [F. canton, augm. of OF. cant edge, corner. See 1st Cant.]

1.

A small portion; a division; a compartment.

That little canton of land called the "English pale" Davies.

There is another piece of Holbein's, . . . in which, in six several cantons, the several parts of our Savior's passion are represented. Bp. Burnet.

2.

A small community or clan.

3.

A small territorial district; esp. one of the twenty-two independent states which form the Swiss federal republic; in France, a subdivision of an arrondissement. See Arrondissement.

4. Her.

A division of a shield occupying one third part of the chief, usually on the dexter side, formed by a perpendicular line from the top of the shield, meeting a horizontal line from the side.

The king gave us the arms of England to be borne in a canton in our arms. Evelyn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Can"ton, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Cantoned ; p. pr. & vb. n. Cantoning.] [Cf. F.cantonner.]

1.

To divide into small parts or districts; to mark off or separate, as a distinct portion or division.

They canton out themselves a little Goshen in the intellectual world. Locke.

2. Mil.

To allot separate quarters to, as to different parts or divisions of an army or body of troops.

 

© Webster 1913.