Com"ple*ment (?), n. [L. complementum: cf. F. complément. See Complete, v. t., and cf. Compliment.]

1.

That which fills up or completes; the quantity or number required to fill a thing or make it complete.

2.

That which is required to supply a deficiency, or to complete a symmetrical whole.

History is the complement of poetry. Sir J. Stephen.

3.

Full quantity, number, or amount; a complete set; completeness.

To exceed his complement and number appointed him which was one hundred and twenty persons. Hakluyt.

4. Math.

A second quantity added to a given quantity to make equal to a third given quantity.

5.

Something added for ornamentation; an accessory.

[Obs.]

Without vain art or curious complements. Spenser.

6. Naut.

The whole working force of a vessel.

7. Mus.

The interval wanting to complete the octave; -- the fourth is the complement of the fifth, the sixth of the third.

8.

A compliment.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Arithmetical compliment of a logarithm. See under Logarithm. -- Arithmetical complement of a number Math., the difference between that number and the next higher power of 10; as, 4 is the complement of 6, and 16 of 84. -- Complement of an arcangle Geom., the difference between that arc or angle and 90°. -- Complement of a parallelogram. Math. See Gnomon. -- In her complement Her., said of the moon when represented as full.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"ple*ment (?), v. t.

1.

To supply a lack; to supplement.

[R.]

2.

To compliment.

[Obs.]

Jer. Taylor.

 

© Webster 1913.