Man"age (?), n. [F. manege, It. maneggio, fr. maneggiare to manage, fr. L.manushand. Perhaps somewhat influenced by F. m'enage housekeeping, OF. mesnage, akin to E. mansion. See Manual, and cf. Manege.]

The handling or government of anything, but esp. of a horse; management; administration. See Manege.

[Obs.]

Young men, in the conduct and manage of actions, embrace more than they can hold. Bacon.

Down, down I come; like glistering Phaethon

Wanting the manage of unruly jades.

Shak.

The unlucky manage of this fatal brawl. Shak.

⇒ This word, in its limited sense of management of a horse, has been displaced by manege; in its more general meaning, by management.

 

© Webster 1913.


Man"age (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Managed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Managing (?).] [From Manage, n.]

1.

To have under control and direction; to conduct; to guide; to administer; to treat; to handle.

Long tubes are cumbersome, and scarce to be easily managed. Sir I. Newton.

What wars Imanage, and what wreaths I gain. Prior.

2.

Hence: Esp., to guide by careful or delicate treatment; to wield with address; to make subservient by artful conduct; to bring around cunningly to one's plans.

It was so much his interest to manage his Protestant subjects. Addison
.

It was not her humor to manage those over whom she had gained an ascendant. Bp. Hurd.

3.

To train in the manege, as a horse; to exercise in graceful or artful action.

4.

To treat with care; to husband.

Dryden.

5.

To bring about; to contrive.

Shak.

Syn. -- To direct; govern; control; wield; order; contrive; concert; conduct; transact.

 

© Webster 1913.


Man"age, v. i.

To direct affairs; to carry on business or affairs; to administer.

Leave them to manage for thee. Dryden
.

 

© Webster 1913.