Pros"pect (?), n. [L. prospectus, fr. prospicere, prospectum, to look forward; pro before, forward + specere, spicere, look, to see: cf. OF. prospect. See Spy, v., and cf. Prospectus.]

1.

That which is embraced by eye in vision; the region which the eye overlooks at one time; view; scene; outlook.

His eye discovers unaware The goodly prospect of some foreign land. Milton.

2.

Especially, a picturesque or widely extended view; a landscape; hence, a sketch of a landscape

.

I went to Putney . . . to take prospects in crayon. Evelyn.

3.

A position affording a fine view; a lookout.

[R.]

Him God beholding from his prospect high. Milton.

4.

Relative position of the front of a building or other structure; face; relative aspect.

And their prospect was toward the south. Ezek. xl. 44.

5.

The act of looking forward; foresight; anticipation; as, a prospect of the future state.

Locke.

Is he a prudent man as to his temporal estate, that lays designs only for a day, without any prospect to, or provision for, the remaining part of life ? Tillotson.

6.

That which is hoped for; ground for hope or expectation; expectation; probable result; as, the prospect of success.

"To brighter prospects born."

Cowper.

These swell their prospectsd exalt their pride, When offers are disdain'd, and love deny'd. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pros"pect, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Prospected; p. pr. & vb. n. Prospecting.]

To look over; to explore or examine for something; as, to prospect a district for gold.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pros"pect, v. i.

To make a search; to seek; to explore, as for mines or the like; as, to prospect for gold.

 

© Webster 1913.