display | more...

Tromp (?), n. [F. trombe, trompe, a waterspout, a water-blowing machine. Cf. Trump a trumpet.]

A blowing apparatus, in which air, drawn into the upper part of a vertical tube through side holes by a stream of water within, is carried down with the water into a box or chamber below which it is led to a furnace.

[Written also trompe, and trombe.]


© Webster 1913.

Tromp, Trompe, n. [See Trump a trumpet.]

A trumpet; a trump.




© Webster 1913.