Arch (#), n. [F. arche, fr. LL. arca, for arcus. See Arc.]

1. Geom.

Any part of a curved line.

2. Arch. (a)

Usually a curved member made up of separate wedge-shaped solids, with the joints between them disposed in the direction of the radii of the curve; used to support the wall or other weight above an opening. In this sense arches are segmental, round (i. e., semicircular), or pointed.

(b)

A flat arch is a member constructed of stones cut into wedges or other shapes so as to support each other without rising in a curve.

⇒ Scientifically considered, the arch is a means of spanning an opening by resolving vertical pressure into horizontal or diagonal thrust.

3.

Any place covered by an arch; an archway; as, to pass into the arch of a bridge.

4.

Any curvature in the form of an arch; as, the arch of the aorta.

"Colors of the showery arch."

Milton.

Triumphal arch, a monumental structure resembling an arched gateway, with one or more passages, erected to commemorate a triumph.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Arched (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Arching.]

1.

To cover with an arch or arches.

2.

To form or bend into the shape of an arch.

The horse arched his neck. Charlesworth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arch, v. i.

To form into an arch; to curve.

<-- p. 78 -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Arch (#), a. [See Arch-, pref.]

1.

Chief; eminent; greatest; principal.

The most arch act of piteous massacre. Shak.

2.

Cunning or sly; sportively mischievous; roguish; as, an arch look, word, lad.

[He] spoke his request with so arch a leer. Tatler.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arch, n. [See Arch-, pref.]

A chief.

[Obs.]

My worthy arch and patron comes to-night. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.