Au*thor"i*ty (?), n.; pl. Authorities (). [OE. autorite, auctorite, F. autorit'e, fr. L. auctoritas, fr. auctor. See Author, n.]

1.

Legal or rightful power; a right to command or to act; power exercised by a person in virtue of his office or trust; dominion; jurisdiction; authorization; as, the authority of a prince over subjects, and of parents over children; the authority of a court.

Thus can the demigod, Authority,
Make us pay down for our offense.
Shak.

By what authority doest thou these things ?
Matt. xxi. 23.

2.

Government; the persons or the body exercising power or command; as, the local authorities of the States; the military authorities.

[Chiefly in the plural.]

3.

The power derived from opinion, respect, or esteem; influence of character, office, or station, or mental or moral superiority, and the like; claim to be believed or obeyed; as, an historian of no authority; a magistrate of great authority.

4.

That which, or one who, is claimed or appealed to in support of opinions, actions, measures, etc.

Hence:
  1. Testimony; witness.
    "And on that high authority had believed."
    Milton.
  2. A precedent; a decision of a court, an official declaration, or an opinion, saying, or statement worthy to be taken as a precedent.
  3. A book containing such a statement or opinion, or the author of the book.
  4. Justification; warrant.

Wilt thou be glass wherein it shall discern
Authority for sin, warrant for blame.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.