Con*sist"ence (?), Con*sist"en*cy (?), n. [Cf. F. consistance.]

1.

The condition of standing or adhering together, or being fixed in union, as the parts of a body; existence; firmness; coherence; solidity.

Water, being divided, maketh many circles, till it restore itself to the natural consistence. Bacon.

We are as water, weak, and of no consistence. Jer. Taylor.

The same form, substance, and consistency. T. Burned.

2.

A degree of firmness, density, or spissitude.

Let the expressed juices be boiled into the consistence of a sirup. Arbuthnot.

<-- p. 308 proofed -->

3.

That which stands together as a united whole; a combination.

The church of God, as meaning whole consistence of orders and members. Milton.

4.

Firmness of constitution or character; substantiality; durability; persistency.

His friendship is of a noble make and a lasting consistency. South.

5.

Agreement or harmony of all parts of a complex thing among themselves, or of the same thing with itself at different times; the harmony of conduct with profession; congruity; correspondence; as, the consistency of laws, regulations, or judicial decisions; consistency of opinions; consistency of conduct or of character.

That consistency of behavior whereby he inflexibly pursues those measures which appear the most just. Addison.

Consistency, thou art a jewel. Popular Saying.

 

© Webster 1913.