Con*sult" (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p. Consulted; p.pr. & vb.n. Consulting.] [L. consultare, fr. consulere to consult: cf. f. consulter. Cf. Counsel.]

To seek the opinion or advice of another; to take consel; to deliberate together; to confer.

Let us consult upon to-morrow's business. Shak.

All the laws of England have been made by the kings England, consulting with the nobility and commons. Hobbes.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*sult", v. t.

1.

To ask advice of; to seek the opinion of; to apply to for information or instruction; to refer to; as, to consult a physician; to consult a dictionary.

Men fergot, or feared, to consult . . . ; they were content to consult liberaries. Whewell.

2.

To have reference to, in judging or acting; to have regard to; to consider; as, to consult one's wishes.

We are . . . to consult the necessities of life, rather than matters of ornament and delight. L'Estrange.

3.

To deliberate upon; to take for.

[Obs.]

Manythings were there consulted for the future, yet nothing was positively resolved. Clarendon.

4.

To bring about by counsel or contrivance; to devise; to contrive.

[Obs.]

Thou hast consulted shame to thy use by cutting off many people. Hab. ii. 10.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*sult" (? ∨ ?), n.

1.

The act of consulting or deliberating; consultation; also, the result of consulation; determination; decision.

[Obs.]

The council broke; And all grave consults dissolved in smoke. Dryden.

2.

A council; a meeting for consultation.

[Obs.] "A consult of coquettes."

Swift.

3.

Agreement; concert

[Obs.]

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.