Dis*play" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Displayed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Displaying.] [OE. displaien, desplaien, OF. despleier, desploier, F. d'eployer; pref. des- (L. dis-) + pleier, ploier, plier, F. ployer, plier, to fold, bend, L. plicare. See Ply, and cf. Deploy, Splay.]

1.

To unfold; to spread wide; to expand; to stretch out; to spread.

The northern wind his wings did broad display. Spenser.

2. Mil.

To extend the front of (a column), bringing it into line.

Farrow.

3.

To spread before the view; to show; to exhibit to the sight, or to the mind; to make manifest.

His statement . . . displays very clearly the actual condition of the army. Burke.

4.

To make an exhibition of; to set in view conspicuously or ostentatiously; to exhibit for the sake of publicity; to parade.

Proudly displaying the insignia of their order. Prescott.

5. Print.

To make conspicuous by large or prominent type.

6.

To discover; to descry.

[Obs.]

And from his seat took pleasure to display The city so adorned with towers. Chapman.

Syn. -- To exhibit; show; manifest; spread out; parade; expand; flaunt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*play", v. i.

To make a display; to act as one making a show or demonstration.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*play", n.

1.

An opening or unfolding; exhibition; manifestation.

Having witnessed displays of his power and grace. Trench.

2.

Ostentatious show; exhibition for effect; parade.

He died, as erring man should die, Without display, without parade. Byron.

 

© Webster 1913.