Glow (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Glowed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Glowing.] [AS. glwan; akin to D. gloeijen, OHG. gluoen, G. gluhen, Icel. gla, Dan. gloende glowing. . Cf. Gloom.]

1.

To shine with an intense or white heat; to give forth vivid light and heat; to be incandenscent.

Glows in the stars, and blossoms in the trees. Pope.

2.

To exhibit a strong, bright color; to be brilliant, as if with heat; to be bright or red with heat or animation, with blushes, etc.

Clad in a gown that glows with Tyrian rays. Dryden.

And glow with shame of your proceedings. Shak.

3.

To feel hot; to have a burning sensation, as of the skin, from friction, exercise, etc.; to burn.

Did not his temples glow In the same sultry winds and acrching heats? Addison.

The cord slides swiftly through his glowing hands. Gay.

4.

To feel the heat of passion; to be animated, as by intense love, zeal, anger, etc.; to rage, as passior; as, the heart glows with love, zeal, or patriotism.

With pride it mounts, and with revenge it glows. Dryden.

Burns with one love, with one resentment glows. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glow, v. t.

To make hot; to flush.

[Poetic]

Fans, whose wind did seem To glow the delicate cheeks which they did cool. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glow, n.

1.

White or red heat; incandscence.

2.

Brightness or warmth of color; redness; a rosy flush; as, the glow of health in the cheeks.

3.

Intense excitement or earnestness; vehemence or heat of passion; ardor.

The red glow of scorn. Shak.

4.

Heat of body; a sensation of warmth, as that produced by exercise, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.