In*tes"tine (?), a. [L. intestinus, fr. intus on the inside, within, fr. in in: cf. F. intestine. See In.]

1.

Internal; inward; -- opposed to external.

Epilepsies, fierce catarrhs, Intestine stone and ulcers. Milton.

2.

Internal with regard to a state or country; domestic; not foreign; -- applied usually to that which is evil; as, intestine disorders, calamities, etc.

Hoping here to end Intestine war in heaven, the arch foe subdued. Milton.

An intestine struggle . . . between authority and liberty. Hume.

3.

Depending upon the internal constitution of a body or entity; subjective.

Everything labors under and intestine necessity. Cudworth.

4.

Shut up; inclosed.

[R.]

Cowper.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*tes"tine, n.; pl. Intestines (#). [L. intestinum: cf. F. intestin. See Intestine, a.]

1. Anat.

That part of the alimentary canal between the stomach and the anus. See Illust. of Digestive apparatus.

2. pl.

The bowels; entrails; viscera.

Large intestine Human Anat. & Med., the lower portion of the bowel, terminating at the anus. It is adapted for the retention of fecal matter, being shorter, broader, and less convoluted than the small intestine; it consists of three parts, the caecum, colon, and rectum. -- Small intestine Human Anat. & Med., the upper portion of the bowel, in which the process of digestion is practically completed. It is narrow and contorted, and consists of three parts, the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum.

 

© Webster 1913.