Mask (?), n. [F. masque, LL. masca, mascha, mascus; cf. Sp. & Pg. máscara, It. maschera; all fr. Ar. maskharat buffoon, fool, pleasantry, anything ridiculous or mirthful, fr. sakhira to ridicule, to laugh at. Cf. Masque, Masquerade.]

1.

A cover, or partial cover, for the face, used for disguise or protection; as, a dancer's mask; a fencer's mask; a ball player's mask.

2.

That which disguises; a pretext or subterfuge.

3.

A festive entertainment of dancing or other diversions, where all wear masks; a masquerade; hence, a revel; a frolic; a delusive show. Bacon.

This thought might lead me through the world's vain mask.
Milton.

4.

A dramatic performance, formerly in vogue, in which the actors wore masks and represented mythical or allegorical characters.

5. (Arch.)

A grotesque head or face, used to adorn keystones and other prominent parts, to spout water in fountains, and the like; -- called also mascaron.

6. (Fort.)

(a)

In a permanent fortification, a redoubt which protects the caponiere.

(b)

A screen for a battery.

7. (Zoöl.)

The lower lip of the larva of a dragon fly, modified so as to form a prehensile organ.

Mask house, a house for masquerades. [Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913


Mask, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Masked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Masking.]

1.

To cover, as the face, by way of concealment or defense against injury; to conceal with a mask or visor.

They must all be masked and vizarded.
Shak.

2.

To disguise; to cover; to hide.

Masking the business from the common eye.
Shak.

3. (Mil.)

(a)

To conceal; also, to intervene in the line of.

(b)

To cover or keep in check; as, to mask a body of troops or a fortress by a superior force, while some hostile evolution is being carried out.

 

© Webster 1913


Mask, v. i.

1.

To take part as a masker in a masquerade. Cavendish.

2.

To wear a mask; to be disguised in any way. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Mask (?), n.

1.

A person wearing a mask; a masker.

The mask that has the arm of the Indian queen.
G. W. Cable.

2. (Sporting)

The head or face of a fox.

Death mask, a cast of the face of a dead person.

 

© Webster 1913