Pub"lic (?), a. [L. publicus, poblicus, fr. populus people: cf. F. public. See People.]

1.

Of or pertaining to the people; belonging to the people; relating to, or affecting, a nation, state, or community; -- opposed to private; as, the public treasury.

To the public good Private respects must yield. Milton.

He [Alexander Hamilton] touched the dead corpse of the public credit, and it sprung upon its feet. D. Webster.

2.

Open to the knowledge or view of all; general; common; notorious; as, public report; public scandal.

Joseph, . . . not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. Matt. i. 19.

3.

Open to common or general use; as, a public road; a public house.

"The public street."

Shak.

Public actstatute Law, an act or statute affecting matters of public concern. Of such statutes the courts take judicial notice. -- Public credit. See under Credit. -- Public funds. See Fund, 3. -- Public house, an inn, or house of entertainment. -- Public law. (a) See International law, under International. (b) A public act or statute. -- Public nuisance. Law See under Nuisance. -- Public orator. Eng. Universities See Orator, 3. -- Public stores, military and naval stores, equipments, etc. -- Public works, all fixed works built by civil engineers for public use, as railways, docks, canals, etc.; but strictly, military and civil engineering works constructed at the public cost.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pub"lic, n.

1.

The general body of mankind, or of a nation, state, or community; the people, indefinitely; as, the American public; also, a particular body or aggregation of people; as, an author's public.

The public is more disposed to censure than to praise. Addison.

2.

A public house; an inn.

[Scot.]

Sir W. Scott.

In public, openly; before an audience or the people at large; not in private or secrecy. "We are to speak in public."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.