Rel"ish (r?l"?sh), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Relished (-sht); p. pr. & vb. n. Relishing.] [Of. relechier to lick or taste anew; pref. re- re-+ lechier to lick, F. lcher. See Lecher, Lick.]

1.

To taste or eat with pleasure; to like the flavor of; to partake of with gratification; hence, to enjoy; to be pleased with or gratified by; to experience pleasure from; as, to relish food.

Now I begin to relish thy advice. Shak.

He knows how to prize his advantages, and to relish the honors which he enjoys. Atterbury.

2.

To give a relish to; to cause to taste agreeably.

A savory bit that served to relish wine. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rel"ish, v. i.

To have a pleasing or appetizing taste; to give gratification; to have a flavor.

Had I been the finder-out of this secret, it would not have relished among my other discredits. Shak.

A theory, which, how much soever it may relish of wit and invention, hath no foundation in nature. Woodward.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rel"ish, n.

1.

A pleasing taste; flavor that gratifies the palate; hence, enjoyable quality; power of pleasing.

Much pleasure we have lost while we abstained From this delightful fruit, nor known till now True relish, tasting. Milton.

When liberty is gone, Life grows insipid, and has lost its relish. Addison.

2.

Savor; quality; characteristic tinge.

It preserve some relish of old writing. Pope.

3.

A taste for; liking; appetite; fondness.

A relish for whatever was excelent in arts. Macaulay.

I have a relish for moderate praise, because it bids fair to be jdicious. Cowper.

4.

That which is used to impart a flavor; specifically, something taken with food to render it more palatable or to stimulate the appetite; a condiment.

Syn. -- Taste; savor; flavor; appetite; zest; gusto; liking; delight.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rel"ish, n. Carp.

The projection or shoulder at the side of, or around, a tenon, on a tenoned piece.

Knight.

 

© Webster 1913.