Re*view" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reviewd (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Reveiwing.] [Pref. re- + view. Cf. Riview, n. ]

1.

To view or see again; to look back on

[R.] "I shall review Sicilia."

Shak.

2.

To go over and examine critically or deliberately.

Specifically: (a)

To reconsider; to revise, as a manuscript before printing it, or a book for a new edition

. (b)

To go over with critical examination, in order to discover exellences or defects; hence, to write a critical notice of; as, to review a new novel.

(c)

To make a formal or official examination of the state of, as troops, and the like; as, to review a regiment.

(d) Law

To reexamine judically; as, a higher court may review the proceedings and judgments of a lower one.

3.

To retrace; to go over again.

Shall I the long, laborious scene review? Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*view", v. i.

To look back; to make a review.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*view", n. [F. revue, fr. revu, p. p. of revoir to see again, L. revidere; pref. re- re- + videre to see. See View, and cf. Revise.]

1.

A second or repeated view; a reexamination; a retrospective survey; a looking over again; as, a review of one's studies; a review of life.

2.

An examination with a view to amendment or improvement; revision; as, an author's review of his works.

3.

A critical examination of a publication, with remarks; a criticism; a critique.

4.

A periodical containing critical essays upon matters of interest, as new productions in literature, art, etc.

5.

An inspection, as of troops under arms or of a naval force, by a high officer, for the purpose of ascertaining the state of discipline, equipments, etc.

6. Law

The judicial examination of the proceedings of a lower court by a higher.

7.

A lesson studied or recited for a second time.

Bill of review Equity, a bill, in the nature of proceedings in error, filed to procure an examination and alteration or reversal of a final decree which has been duly signed and enrolled. Wharton. -- Commission of review Eng. Eccl.Law, a commission formerly granted by the crown to revise the sentence of the court of delegates.

Syn. -- Reexamination; resurvey; retrospect; survey; reconsideration; revisal; revise; revision.

 

© Webster 1913.