Rub"ber (?), n.

1.

One who, or that which, rubs.

Specifically:

(a) An instrument or thing used in rubbing, polishing, or cleaning.

(b) A coarse file, or the rough part of a file.

(c) A whetstone; a rubstone.

(d) An eraser, usually made of caoutchouc.

(e) The cushion of an electrical machine.

(f) One who performs massage, especially in a Turkish bath.

(g) Something that chafes or annoys; hence, something that grates on the feelings; a sarcasm; a rub.

Thackeray.

2.

In some games, as whist, the odd game, as the third or the fifth, when there is a tie between the players; as, to play the rubber; also, a contest determined by the winning of two out of three games; as, to play a rubber of whist.

Beaconsfield.

"A rubber of cribbage." Dickens.

3.

India rubber; caoutchouc.

4.

An overshoe made of India rubber.

[Colloq.]

<-- 5. A condom. [Colloq.] -->

Antimony rubber, an elastic durable variety of vulcanized caoutchouc of a red color. It contains antimony sulphide as an important constituent. -- Hard rubber, a kind of vulcanized caoutchouc which nearly resembles horn in texture, rigidity, etc. -- India rubber, caoutchouc. See Caoutchouc. -- Rubber cloth, cloth covered with caoutchouc for excluding water or moisture. -- Rubber dam Dentistry, a shield of thin sheet rubber clasped around a tooth to exclude saliva from the tooth.

 

© Webster 1913.