Sole (?), n. [F. sole, L. solea; -- so named from its flat shape. See Sole of the foot.] (Zoöl.)

(a)

Any one of several species of flatfishes of the genus Solea and allied genera of the family Soleidæ, especially the common European species (Solea vulgaris), which is a valuable food fish.

(b)

Any one of several American flounders somewhat resembling the true sole in form or quality, as the California sole (Lepidopsetta bilineata), the long-finned sole (Glyptocephalus zachirus), and other species.

Lemon, or French, sole (Zoöl.), a European species of sole (Solea pegusa). --
Smooth sole (Zoöl.), the megrim.

 

© Webster 1913


Sole (?), n. [AS. sole, fr. L. soolea (or rather an assumed L. sola), akin to solumround, soil, sole of the foot. Cf. Exile, Saloon, Soil earth, Sole the fish.]

1.

The bottom of the foot; hence, also, rarely, the foot itself.

The dove found no rest for the sole of her foot.
Gen. viii. 9.

Hast wandered through the world now long a day,
Yet ceasest not thy weary soles to lead.
Spenser.

2.

The bottom of a shoe or boot, or the piece of leather which constitutes the bottom.

The "caliga" was a military shoe, with a very thick sole, tied above the instep.
Arbuthnot.

3.

The bottom or lower part of anything, or that on which anything rests in standing. Specifially:

(a) (Agric.)

The bottom of the body of a plow; -- called also slade; also, the bottom of a furrow.

(b) (Far.)

The horny substance under a horse's foot, which protects the more tender parts.

(c) (Fort.)

The bottom of an embrasure.

(d) (Naut.)

A piece of timber attached to the lower part of the rudder, to make it even with the false keel. Totten.

(e) (Mining)

The seat or bottom of a mine; -- applied to horizontal veins or lodes.

Sole leather, thick, strong, used for making the soles of boots and shoes, and for other purposes.

 

© Webster 1913


Sole, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Soled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Soling.]

To furnish with a sole; as, to sole a shoe.

 

© Webster 1913


Sole, a. [L. solus, or OF. sol, F. seul (fr. L. solus; cf. L. sollus whole, entire. Cf. Desolate, Solemn, Solo, Sullen.]

1.

Being or acting without another; single; individual; only. "The sole son of my queen." Shak.

He, be sure . . . first and last will reign
Sole king.
Milton.

2. (Law)

Single; unmarried; as, a feme sole.

Corporation sole. See the Note under Corporation.

Syn. -- Single; individual; only; alone; solitary.

 

© Webster 1913


Sol Sole (?), n. [From hydrosol an aqueous colloidal solution, confused with G. sole, soole, salt water from which salt is obtained.] (Chem.)

A fluid mixture of a colloid and a liquid; a liquid colloidal solution or suspension.

 

© Webster 1913