Thrill (?), n. [See Trill.]

A warbling; a trill.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrill, n. [AS. yrel an aperture. See Thrill, v. t.]

A breathing place or hole; a nostril, as of a bird.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrill, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Thrilled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Thrilling.] [OE. thrillen, irlen, urlen, to pierce; all probably fr. AS. yrlian, yrelian, Fr. yrel pierced; as a noun, a hole, fr. urh through; probably akin to D. drillen to drill, to bore. 53. See Through, and cf. Drill to bore, Nostril, Trill to trickle.]

1.

To perforate by a pointed instrument; to bore; to transfix; to drill.

[Obs.]

He pierced through his chafed chest With thrilling point of deadly iron brand. Spenser.

2.

Hence, to affect, as if by something that pierces or pricks; to cause to have a shivering, throbbing, tingling, or exquisite sensation; to pierce; to penetrate.

To bathe in flery floods, or to reside In thrilling region of thick-ribbed ice. Shak.

Vivid and picturesque turns of expression which thrill the eader with sudden delight. M. Arnold.

The cruel word her tender heart so thrilled, That sudden cold did run through every vein. Spenser.

3.

To hurl; to throw; to cast.

[Obs.]

I'll thrill my javelin. Heywood.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrill, v. i.

1.

To pierce, as something sharp; to penetrate; especially, to cause a tingling sensation that runs through the system with a slight shivering; as, a sharp sound thrills through the whole frame.

I have a faint cold fear thrills through my veins. Shak.

2.

To feel a sharp, shivering, tingling, or exquisite sensation, running through the body.

To seek sweet safety out In vaults and prisons, and to thrill and shake. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrill, n.

1.

A drill. See 3d Drill, 1.

2.

A sensation as of being thrilled; a tremulous excitement; as, a thrill of horror; a thrill of joy.

Burns.

 

© Webster 1913.