Whelp, it didn't take NYCity very long to figure out that it's August. Last week was rainy, but gorgeous... cool wet nights, damp windy breezes, drippy darkness... but now: muggy muggy muggy. This is when you begin carrying around an extra 5lbs of fluid in your cotton clothes. This is when old ladies pass out while waiting for the 6 train in Union Square.

Smoke breaks are beginning to be fearful. Who dares leave the A/C? Northerners have always been funny about this stuff though... I've never understood why so many homes around here lack air conditioning... Having grown up in the South, everyone had A/C - and you went from an air conditioned home to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned job. Maybe you stopped by an air conditioned restraunt or an air conditioned bar later in the night. That could happen.

But here you find so frequently that you go over to a friend's home or a local restraunt or a bar and it's simply stiffling inside... and the same answer to my question always comes... but you really only need it in August...

That may be so... I turned mine on in April.

I simply can't abide with heat, certainly not where I'm living and sleeping. I tell people that and they look at me funny... "Didn't you grow up in Nashville?" Yes, and I went from my air conditioned home to my air conditioned car to my air conditioned job. For me to be happy, the air temperature needs to be less than 75 degrees (f). 45-65 is absolutely ideal. That makes me happy.

So, I'm going to be spending August at home and look forward to fall.