In an attempt to manufacture and monopolize all aspects of the table-top wargamming experience that involve their many gaming products, Games Workshop produces their own paints in addition to their extensive line of minatures.

Citadel's paints for the most part are adequate for the job, and while other paint companies produce better blends at better prices, few can match the marketing powerhouse that Games Workshop has become.

One of the more clever aspects of Citadel's paint line are the names. Afterall, who really doesn't want a bottle Nauseating Blue, Snot Green or Leprous Brown sitting on their desk?

All Citadel Colour paints are completely water soluble, this being one of their stronger aspects. Unlike many rival paint companies in the model industry (Testor comes to mind, an oil based paint) with Citadel paints you never have to concern yourself with thinner or solvents for getting the paint consistency right, washing brushes, or cleaning up. This does make the paint slightly more fragile after it is applied - water based paints have the tendency to flake off the model after even light use. To counterattack this it is vital to apply a coat of varnish to the model. And of course, Citadel Colour happily makes some of that too. In this case though, they're beat hands down - Testors sells a spray dull-coat varnish to a third of the cost and a much better product to boot. Paints sell for $2.25 per .62 FL OZ bottle.

Metallics are where they really hurt you cost wise. All metallics sell for $3.25 per .62 FL OZ bottle.

Inks are extremely thin paints intended for shading and glazing minatures. Inks sell for $2.25 per .62 FL OZ bottle.