Lesson #1 for the psychedelic explorer: Bad experiences can happen while you're tripping - what you do about these experiences makes the difference between having a bad trip and not.

Remember that you've consciously chosen to dramatically alter the way in which your brain normally functions. Acknowledge that that act of control was the last you really get for a fixed amount of time. The most important thing to learn in order for you to be able to cope with the next few hours is that you will (for the most part) not be in control of your mind or where it takes you.

Ride it out.

Quite possibly the most dangerous thing you can do in such situations is try to exert control over your faculties in the way you normally would. You simply can't, and whatever is bothering you will very likely get worse if you try.

Let yourself go. Change your surroundings. Pay attention to something harmless.

You're not going to freak out, you will return to normal, everything may not be the same afterwards - but you knew that going in.

For a lot of people this is a growing up process: you are never 100% in control of your life and its direction, take advantage of your time when you are less than 1% in control. Revel in it.