sam512: Wntrmute, you should have another birthday next year.

My birthday gatherings are becoming something of an E2 tradition, drawing noders from across the map with their promise of food, drink, and terrible sleeping conditions. With my 25th approaching I see no reason not to continue the trend, but this time around I'm brave/foolish enough to host it in my own home. With any luck, though, I'll be able to convince some of the ninjagirls to help with food and save you from my catering... Update, Success: This nodermeet will be gin soaked!

Where?

Edinburgh, Scotland. Although a bit more remote than most Britnodermeet locations, Edinburgh is easy to get to; the central train station (EDB/Waverley) has direct services to/from most major cities and can be reached in less than four and a half hours by express from London Kings Cross or Birmingham New Street (nevermind that one is a hundred miles further than the other). Meanwhile the airport (EDI/Turnhouse) offers plenty of domestic and international destinations with a surprisingly small amount of check-in/security hassle compared to London terminals. Nearby Glasgow serves some more; give me a shout if you need directions from there and I'll pass you to more knowledgeable people. Or you could drive, but I have no idea where you'd park if so; it's all permit-only where I live.

When?

Saturday 8th-Sunday 9th November. Given the distance, if you want to turn up on Friday evening or loiter until Monday that should be ok, space permitting!

What?

I'll stick to the standard of Saturday evening being the event proper, with the usual mix of food, drink and endless conversation. At the risk of a dangerously high concentration of mathematicians I've invited various non-noders to this bit too. Tradition dictates a recovery brunch on Sunday, or in accordance with the Ancient Scottish tradition of basing your food on a dare we could try the mars bar muffins from the chocolate shop next door. Touristy stuff can be arranged for Saturday/Sunday should people be interested. If we manage to spot some fireworks from the window (I'm up on the third floor), so much the better.

Who?

A nodermeet needs noders, of course. Here's who's considered this one so far...

Yes

Me, obviously.
The Debutante
DTal
Gnarl
sam512
Oolong
La Petite Mort
diotina
Berek
Pavlovna

No

Dimview
Hazelnut
TheLady
Junkill
krimson
spiregrain
Andrew Aguecheek

Practical Stuff

Sleeping arrangements will be as chaotic as usual: basically, bring a sleeping bag, stay awake as long as possible, fit where you can on the floor then catch up on sleep on the train home. Fortunately there is a lot of space in this flat, and considering the lack of spare beds there's a bizarre amount of spare bedding, plus a couple of sofas, to make people more comfortable. On which note, I should point out that Scotland in November is likely to be cold. Edinburgh is sometimes described as offering all four seasons in a day, but unfortunately each of the seasons tend to feature rain here. If the rain holds off the wind may well get you instead. Wear layers.