One problem with the standard Moses story presented in Exodus is "Why should an Egyptian princess give a baby she finds floating in the river, and has no idea where he came from, a Hebrew name?"

'Moses' is a Greek transliteration (from the Septuigant) of the Hebrew name Moshe. Exodus explains this as being derived from Hebrew Msha "to draw out", referring to Pharaoh's daughter drawing him out from the Nile. Some Biblical scholars, however, reject this explanation, believing that the account of Moses' birth in Exodus 1-2 was a later addition to the story, invented in order to provide an explanation for Israel's greatest prophet having an Egyptian name.

One name that has been put forward by experts as a possibility is Tutmose (prononced "Tuth-moshe"), Son of Thoth. This was a fairly common name amongst the 18th Dynasty monarchs, and the hypothesis runs that someone by this name decided to abandon the Egyptian Gods, and dropped the God-element "Tut" from his name, leaving "Mose", which is ponounced almost the same in Coptic as Moses' name is in Hebrew.

There is actually some evidence that this may have happened. The eldest son of Amonhotep III was called Tutmose, and up until the end of his Father's reign he was clearly being groomed as the heir. About five years prior to his Father's death, however, he mysteriously dissappears, and the tomb being prepared for him (later used to house the remains of King Ay) is suddenly abandoned. An inscription from shortly after this time refers to his brother (also called Amonhotep) as "The King's True Son", implying that someone else was not.

(This same Amonhotep later became King Amonhotep IV, better known as the infamous Akhenaton, who instituted a Monotheistic religion in Egypt. Coincidence? No-one knows for sure.)