Arcturus formed in the late 80's as the black metal band Mortem by Steinar Sverd Johnsen and Jan Axel Von Blomberg (a.k.a. Hellhammer, current leader of Mayhem). They only recorded one record, which was one of the first black metal records out of Norway. By 1990 they had changed their name to Arcturus. In 1991 they released their first recording the "My Angel" single. They then recruited Ulver leader and future Borknagar vocalist Garm (really Christopher Garm Rygg) for the "Constellation" ep and their first full length "Aspera Heims Symfonia". Both releases became cult classics, difficult dreamy and yet very black metal inspired sounds. (They are now on a cd together).

"La Masquerade Infernale" proved what this band could do. Featuring some of the most difficult and scary music I have ever heard, forget calling it metal, it goes beyond any genre. This record also featured the vocal abilities of Borknagar and Dimmu Borgir's Simen Hestnaes (aka ICS Vortex on a few songs.

After this the band fell silent for a few years. Hellhammer was quite busy being perhaps metal's busiest man, as he is in Troll, Winds and The Kovenant asides from Arcturus, Mayhem and many many others. Garm was also quite busy at this time, changing Ulver from black metal to experimental territory, and finishing up his time with Borknagar. So after a few years rest they returned to the studio in 2000. What came out of these sessions was a return to "Aspera Heims Symfonia" type of sounds, yet with the same twist that had made "La Masquerade Infernale" so interesting. This record became known as "The Sham Mirrors". However not all that long ago Garm officially left the band. To play some shows supporting this record they recruited Øyvind Hægeland who is their current vocalist.

News Update: They have released a new album, and also have got Simen Hestnaes back into the band for vocals.

Current Members:

Simen Hestnaes - Vocals
Steinar Johnson - Keyboards
Knut Magne Valle - Guitars
Dag Gravem - Guitars
Jan Axel von Blomberg/Hellhammer - Drums

Discography

(Full Lengths)

Aspera Heims Symfonia 1996
La Masquerade Infernal 1997
The Sham Mirrors 2002

(Singles, Eps and remixes)

My Angel (single) 1991
Constellation (ep) 1994
Disguised Masters (remix record) 1999