Also a slowcore band from the 90's. Codeine made music that went along as if you were on Codeine, music slowed down to a pounding druggy haze. Good for depression or when you just don't feel very up.

Codeine formed in 1989 by bassist/singer Stephen Immerwahr, guitarist John Engle, and drummer Chris Brokaw. Signed by European label Glitterhouse and then Sub Pop in America, Codeine released their first record "Frigid Stars Lp" in 1990 in Europe and 1991 in America.

In 1992 they lost drummer Brokaw, who left to spend all his time in another band he was playing drums in. Douglas Scharin replaced Brokaw and in 1994 their second lp "The White Birch" was released. Soon after it was released the band broke up to allow the members to work on other projects.

Both of their cds are really good, they alos released a long playing Ep while Brokaw was still in the band. Since they were one of the first slowcore bands they were original when they first started and were superseded by later bands. However I tend to like them alot more than alot of the bands that came after them. I highly suggest picking up everything they've done if you like moody dark and slow music.

Discography

1990 "Frigid Stars"
1992 "Barely Real (ep)"
1994 "The White Birch

Suggested for fans of: Low, American Analog Set, Skating Club, Slowdive, ect.