I just finished by senior year (awwwww yeah!!). Freshman year I was isolated, I bit lonely and bored. I had friends but they were trying to get popular. Sophamore year I had friends who were more like me. Drama geeks, band geeks, art geeks, and most importantly, Academic Decathlon geeks, or AcaDorks. I met people smarter than me, and that made me think more. We had real fun. Then i joined Academic Decathlon junior year. Its the smartest thing I've ever done. The combination of having friends with similar problems and the support of the team (we had a 40 member team) and the confidence from doing very well changed high school. Then there's this year. I've been invited to two parties today, but I'm too tired from going to parties that are important to me to go. I talk to the class Vice President every day (the class President is usually too stoned). I was nominated to be class marshal but I wouldn't run. I was voted a school leader.
To make high school tolerable do the following things.
  • Find other geeks/nerds and make friends.
  • Be confident. Everyone can tell if you are. If you can't, pretend you are confidant and it will come.
  • For me the most important was...
Ignore the teachers/administration. Get good grades if thats what you want (I didn't particularly but then I didn't do a scrap of homework this year in honors and AP courses). Find out which teachers give a crap. In my school of 200 teachers, we found 15 good ones that we respect and listen to. A few we'd do anything for. The rest we don't listen to. We are important enough] to our school that we can. We took over the teachers lounge and none have been able to get it back. Be confidant and a geek and they won't touch you. Then you can go about being happy.