I had one of the most terrifying experiences of my life last night. I nearly had an eye damaged or lost for good. I'm still shaking every time I think about it, which is often because I'm still in pain.

It was the middle of the night and I was curled up in bed asleep after a hearty dose of Nyquil for general "icky I can't breathe, I hurt, I feel like shit" symptoms. Not usually my drug of choice, but Tylenol PM hadn't been keeping me asleep properly the last couple of nights so it was a last-ditch effort to get some rest.

A cat fell on me. I don't know if it was Sam or Misty although I suspect it was the larger, heavier Sam. He either slipped off the windowsill he was on or missed his target jump, a bedside table, and hit the bed instead.

He hit me right in my eye socket. I have six or seven claw scratches all around my eye socket and a huge gouge in my eyelid. If I hadn't been Nyquilled up, I would have started like I usually do when I hear noises in the night and bolted awake--opening my eyes. I'm pretty sure I'd have lost the eye if I had. The gouge is through several layers of skin, although not through the entire lid. But there's no way that would have avoided tearing through my eye had the lid been open.

I still don't know how to react. I'm still terrified of what could have happened.