Green Dog

A boy reads a book, a large leatherbound book. He points with a finger to a picture. "The guy who usually plays him," he says. Frankenstein, the flathead Universal version, comes lumbering out and after the kid. He runs.

He makes it around the corner where he meets an older boy and a girl and a green dog at the end of a very long hall. They look like they came from some old family movie.

At the end of the hallway, a red dragon appears. It has steel animal-trap jaws and googly psychedelic eyes and a body like a diagram of the human arm from an anatomy text book. It slithers in and out of doorways in the very long hall. The children flee.

"Don't Stop Believing" plays, the version from Glee, from an old-fashioned radio. An urgent voice interrupts this broadcast with a special news bulletin. Giant horses are attacking Cardiff. The telly shows images of ordinary-sized horses, but ones that stand on their hind legs and look menacing. People are afraid to walk the streets.

The green dog barks.


The Old Man of the Mountain

"I had a dream about Himmy," says the littlest boy.

"He's a bad guy," says the older boy.

"Well, then a little tree that looked like Himmy."

A man who should be pleasant but appears both angry and urgent shows up and yells, "Do you want a cookie butter?!? Do you want a cookie butter!?!"


Pride

I'm standing in a central park. The sky is dirty. Tornadoes appear in the distance, in all directions.

Towering into the clouds, miles away, appear four figures who must be miles high. They have vaguely human shape. I can barely make out the appendages attached to their heads.

We all head for the storm cellar, in the middle of the park, just like the one Dorothy's auntie Em had in The Wizard of Oz.


Silver Mastodon

I'm having dinner with unidentified friends and a Silver Mastodon at Hooters. These aren't Hooter's gals waiting on tables, though, not from what I've heard. They are overdressed in Hawaiian shirts over cotton t shirts. Long trousers.

Cyndi Lauper sings "Time After Time." The drum beats out of time.