I don't usually remember my dreams. I assume I dream every night. By the time I'm coherent and awake, if there were any dreams, they're no longer in my consciously accessible memory. I rather like it that way.

A couple nights ago, I can't remember exactly when, I dreamed I was driving. Very realistic. I can recall feeling the steering wheel under my leather gloved hands. I could feel the brisk air and see frost on the windows. There was a car immediately in front of me. The terrain was unfamiliar, but it seemed like any partially commercial, partially residential sort of district anywhere in Texas, with large green trees draped on either side of the roadway and occasional buildings like convenience stores and gas stations and the like passing by outside the car windows. I was looking out the windshield.

Then my gaze looked up over the back of the tan hatchback directly in front of me. The gaze continued going up and over the hatchback and above the trees, as if I had left my corporeal body behind in the car, and I heard the car explode beneath me as it ran out of control and hit the surrounding cars. I looked over the trees in front of me, and saw a large adobe brick building. Fire coming out of its every portal, and the explosions, fire and chaos below me increased. I looked at the building in horror, and heard screaming, and sensed people dying everywhere. In my corporeal state, I could do nothing but witness the tragedy all about me. I noticed I was floating closer and closer to the adobe brick building now completely engulfed by flames. I could feel the heat on my disembodied face. Though I could touch nothing and felt myself like a spectral spirit going through the tops of the trees unable to grasp anything to slow my inertia, I knew the fires inside the building were hot enough to cause me pain and possibly destroy my soul, yet was unable to avoid slowly inching into them. I screamed.

Then I woke up. Got out of bed. Had some soy milk egg nog, tried to shake it off, watched a little TV and attempted to go back to sleep.

I don't remember my dreams very often.

I like it that way.