This is the name of a long forgotten computer program that has come with Windows for PCs since the middle 1980s. It was originally just SOUNDREC.EXE if memory serves. Nowadays it's called SNDREC32.EXE because they allegedly updated it from the days of Windows 3.0 to Windows 95, but you still can't record more than a moment's worth of anything at a time, so they didn't update it much. It's a simple program that back in 1985 was pretty nifty. Sound Recorder could play wavefiles and you could record wavefiles of your own voice if you had a microphone properly attached to your soundcard. It's an utterly useless little program now, and is one of the many things that takes up space in Windows causing it to be quite the memory hog. Yet another little known program that's still in Windows which hasn't been used for years is called Program Manager aka PROGMAN.EXE. It's still in the C:\WINDOWS directory if you know where to look for it. Pretty amazing, eh? It's still there for what they call backwards compatibility but really it's just accumulating dust and cobwebs. The kernel rarely ever refers to PROGMAN or Sound Recorder at all nowadays.

I'd think twice before deleting these things off your hard drive though. You never know when you may need an old fossil in Bill Gates arsenal.