Here are some other important things to know about herpes that most people don't know:
  • It is possible to transmit herpes even when no sores are present. Recent research has shown this to be the case. So, you should ALWAYS use condoms.
  • There is a blood test that can be used to see if you have the antibodies to both types of herpes in your blood. Those are usually present if you've been exposed to the virus. It is called the Western Blot, and many doctors don't know about it.
  • Some of the drugs that are used to supress outbreaks are very effective. Others are not. YMMV. Some of those drugs are Zovirax (Acyclovir), Valtrex (Valacyclovir), and Famvir (Famciclovir).
  • Some people believe that increasing your intake of certain vitamins and minerals can help reduce the chances of outbreaks. The ones most recommended are L-Lysine and Zinc.

Some excellent resources on the web for herpes information, and where I got this information from:

http://depts.washington.edu/herpes/ - University of Washington Herpes Research Center (probably the best in the country for research about herpes)
http://www.racoon.com/herpes/ - The Original Herpes Home Page (very useful bulletin boards and community support)

There is some good information in the herpes node as well.