The next cycle, X'melborp found Greg in the commons area, keeping to himself in a chair in the corner. In his hands were Data Tablets. He appeared to be doing some kind of filing, transferring information from one to another.

"Human Greg," X'melborp said, approaching him. "I am curious about your outburst last night."

"Sorry," said Human Greg curtly. "Guess I'm sick of hearing about your stupid Brevity Entry."

X'melborp was confused. "My writing was very well received," he said. "Everyone thought it was hilarious!"

"Yeah, they did." Greg sighed. "Just leave me alone and let me do my job, okay?"

"I do not understand your recent anti-social behavior," said X'melborp. "You were the one pushing for more community building and unity among the staff. Your pot lucks, book groups, writing challenges--"

"And I regret ever doing that stupid writing thing to begin with!"

"Why?" said X'melborp, startled. "It was a rousing success! Never before has the entire staff been so unified!"

"Yeah, against me!"

"Human Greg, I think you are being too sensitive. They are merely expressing their appreciation--"

"Haha! Look!" Two Andarian Medical Operators passed by. "Hey, Human Greg!" said one. "What is a species that has not contributed to Galactic Society in any meaningful way?"

Her friend answered before anyone else could. "Humans!" she said. "Your species is entirely worthless, yet they encourage you to join our crews! It is so funny!"

They laughed and moved on. Human Greg's face burned red.

"Yeah," he said. "They really appreciate me."

It took X'melborp a second to realize that Human Greg was being sarcastic-- that strange human phenomenon that meant the opposite of what they said. His heart fell. Human Greg wasn't feeling appreciated at all.

Greg turned to go.

X'melborp reached out and touched his shoulder.

"Human Greg wait--"

Greg whirled on him and shoved him away.

"Don't touch me, okay?" he said loudly. "Just leave me alone, okay Smell-Borp?"

X'melborp's antennae fell. It occurred to him that Human Greg was mispronouncing his name on purpose.

"Human Greg--"

Human Greg ignored him and stormed down the hall, and X'melborp was alone.

* * * * *

Later, X'melborp returned to Human Greg's work station to find Greg gone, but the Commander there. She was looking intently around the cubicle and seemed to be inspecting the human's work station.

"Commander TeFa'lar!" he said, hastily saluting. "Have you seen Human Greg?"

Commander TeFa'lar looked at him without emotion. "I believe he is in his room, contemplating with severity."

"Why?"

She tilted her antannae, displaying the slightest curiosity. "Human Greg has requested a transfer to our sister ship Fantasia," she said.

"Oh no," said X'melborp. "What were his reasons?"

"He gave none." she said. "I suspect he may crave human social interaction. The Fantasia has been Human-Integrated for some time. About 25% of the ship is from Earth." She looked at him appraisingly. "You may be pleased to hear that his request was denied. Because there was no official reason given, there was no reason to acquiesce to his request."

X'melborp nodded. "But I take it he was unhappy with the denial?"

"Very." She frowned. "It is concerning. Unhappy humans tend not to produce quality work, and their social nature means that they will inform each other of their dissatisfaction. It was a hard sell convincing the Galactic Council to allow even one Human on the Prosperity. I'd hate to have Human Greg's failure to thrive demonstrate that the Prosperity is ill-equipped for Human integration."

Guilt gnawed at X'melborp. "Commander, I believe I have made an error in my dealings with Human Greg. I think I may be responsible for his desire to transfer."

"How so?"

X'melborp cast his eyes and antennae down in shame. "I have researched human bonding behavior, and Goodnatured Ribbing seems to be a staple of many human relations, particularly among males."

"I see," said the commander. Her face was expressionless.

"However," X'melborp continued, "Human Greg has not reacted positively to such interactions."

"X'melborp," she said severely. "We are in the process of Uplifting humanity into the Galactic Federation."

"Yes, Commander," he said miserably.

"I cannot stress the importance of creating and maintaining positive relations with our human staff."

"Yes, Commander."

"I recommend speaking to Human Greg and rectifying the situation, X'melborp. Human Greg is vital to Integrating Prosperity and developing Human-Andarian relations."

X'melborp saluted again. "Understood commander."

"Good. Go find Human Greg."

X'melborp left to do just that.