So I’m taking a psych class with an obviously misplaced kindergarten teacher. She talks to us in a really condescending way. Like the way someone who doesn't like kids talks to a small child when they ask a question: they answer the question, but they do it in that fake-happy voice they think is the way they're supposed to talk to kids.

I’m in fucking college, and our first assignment is to make a poster about our families. Like, a poster board poster, with, and I quote, “Crayons, paints, magazine cut outs, photos- anything you want”.

I. . . .what?

I’m paying to make fucking grade school poster board projects? Really?

The class is about family and marriage- weird one for me to pick, but I was hoping to learn about family dynamics and how to better manipulate my- I MEAN care for my family. But then she went and ruined it by focusing only on marriages and couples. I guess that can be useful too, maybe, but I’m sort of out of my depth on that one.

Today she had us talk about our definitions of intimacy, and what we learned about it from our parents’ marriages. Like how our parents acted towards each other shaped out opinions on it as stuff. So we had a few people talk about how their parents are super loving and annoying with one another (this got all the girls in the class going, ‘awww’, even though the girl whose parents they were was kinda grossed out because- eww! My parents kiss in front of us!), and some how their parents were stone cold towards one another. Mostly, we got people raising their hands whose parents were loving, but had their bumps and troubles, but usually managed to work through them.

All of them were still married.

And while I appreciated the stories they told (which were genuinely entertaining, and sometimes a real nice peek into more normal families), I couldn’t help thinking,

“Doesn't anyone in here have divorced parents? Or am I the only one?”

The teacher had us all write up a little paper discussing the relationships of either our parents or out own or of someone we knew closely. Just a little in class thing she could use to take role.

My mom and dad got divorced when I was twelve and mom’s got a no contact order built right into the divorce papers, but lately they’ve been getting along and she hasn’t tried calling the cops on him for anything-

Scrapped that and wrote about my unofficial surrogate aunty/uncle/grandma/grandpa/godparents/favorite old people in the world Pastor Karl and Torri instead. Been married for over forty years and are still the most loving couple I’ve ever seen. Like, ever.

I’m actually at their house right now, watching Tom while they’re out. He had a little trouble earlier when Pizza hut didn’t give him marinara sauce for the breadsticks, but has calmed down since. (He actually managed to grab a bread stick and push it to the floor. This is more impressive than it sounds.)

Megan came over all last week, down from that foreign land of Nevadia. It was fun: we watched Slenderman vids and then the mock Slenderman vids to calm our nerves. Then went and saw The Woman in Black with the best audience ever. They screamed at ALL the jump scares- even the parts where there was no jump scare, only the anticipation of a jump scare. It was communal fear glory. She just left today and now I'm both happy to have some time to myself, but also sad 'Cause I know it won't be until the very end of the month before she comes back. We still text eachother near constantly (I'm actually texting her between typing this), but it's not the same, you know?

No real ending segue here, I guess. Just wanted to type. Ta.