Third game in the popular fighting game series, Mortal Kombat 3 was released as a coin-op arcade machine in 1995 by Midway. The game features 14 selectable characters and one hidden character, Smoke. The characters are as follows:

In Mortal Kombat 3, Shao Kahn is frustrated after many unsuccessful attempts at taking the Earth realm. He had a queen named Sindel who died at a young age. So Shao Kahn instructs Shang Tsung and his priests to make Sindel's spirit be reborn in the Earth realm. Her birth enabled Shao Kahn to step through the dimensional gates and reclaim his queen, enabling him to finally seize the Earth realm. He purges all life on Earth and takes the souls as his own, except for a remaining few that were protected by the thunder god Raiden. These warriors must fight to reclaim Earth.

Mortal Kombat 3 is followed by Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat 4.

The machine itself is black with the sides of the machine featuring Sindel and Shao Kahn. The game runs on Midway's Wolf Unit arcade hardware which, according to MAME, runs on a TMS34010 CPU @ 6.25MHz, an ADSP2105 CPU @ 10.24Mhz and a custom audio chip of unknown clock speed playing amplified mono using Midway's Digital Compression System (DCS). The game is also JAMMA-compatible with a seperate audio board (thanks to TheBooBooKitty for that bit of info). If anyone has any further tech specs on the Wolf Unit, let me know. The game has also been ported to PC CD-ROM, Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Sega Genesis and Sony Playstation.

Sources:
Killer List Of Video Games - http://www.klov.com
Planet Mortal Kombat - http://www.planetmk.com
MAME - http://www.mame.dk