We interrupt this daylog for the following public service announcement: People, even people who work in the field, don't generally realize what it means to be a person with a disability who depends on support workers for damn near everything.

Take right now. I'm sitting here with a dry mouth, dry throat, and the beginning of a dehydration headache. There was a sub today instead of the usual person. Her shift was shorter than usual. Nobody told her to give me anything to drink. I'm waiting for the next person now. Imagine this happening with nearly every body function: Dry mouth. Extreme thirst. Empty stomach. Nausea from empty stomach. Full bladder. You get the picture.

This isn't some kind of bid for pity, which is useless to any of us. It's in the hopes that if someone actually reads the daylogs who has any occasion to work with disabled people of any kind in any capacity, then maybe they'll remember those supposedly little things. Oh, and another thing. Never make the mistake of assuming that someone will be able to do these things themselves. I've seen people assume that in friends who ranged from completely bedridden to seemingly (but not really) extremely mobile and capable. Just. Never. Assume. It. Period. If your paperwork says they can do something and the person says they can't, trust the person. Presuming they're not too beaten down by authority to assert themselves in that manner.

And if we happen to be incredibly grouchy by the time you finally do show up, just grit your teeth and imagine it was you up all night trying not to piss yourself while growing increasingly weak and dehydrated. Generally we are used to such things and don't get grouchy nearly as fast as the average person would be under the circumstances. (I'm not grouchy now after nine hours since I last had any water. I wouldn't be grouchy if this went on till morning. I've had much worse.) If we are grouchy it's generally because something is, in fact, wrong. And generally it's these seemingly little things that cause the biggest problems, because most people have this reality distortion field in their head where they don't think about doing these things for someone else, because they are so trivial to do for themselves. News flash: They're not trivial when you can't do them.

This concludes the public service announcement, we now return you to your regularly scheduled daylogs.